Monday 10 October 2011

Books about France that I've enjoyed reading

For want of some sort of system, here's my short book list of recommended reads. I have to say that I have read a number of other books about people living in France and their unique experiences, or their novels based on their or others experiences, but these books here - for me - are worth a jolly good look:


Amusing, Evocative and a Thoroughly Enjoyable Read



Allons Enfants - A New Zealand Family in France, Linda Burgess
My Life in France (Ma Vie en France), Julia Child
Almost French - A New Life in Paris, Sarah Turnbull
A Year in Provence, Peter Mayle
Encore Provence, Peter Mayle
Toujours Provence, Peter Mayle
A Dog's Life, Peter Mayle
Fete Accomplie - A New Zealander’s Culinary Romance, Peta Mathias
French Toast - Eating and Laughing Your Way Around France, Peta Mathias
Salut! Peta Mathias
My Father’s Glory, Marcel Pagnol
My Mother’s Castle, Marcel Pagnol

Educational and Informative, and Really Genuinely Interesting


Sixty Million Frenchmen Can’t be Wrong - What Makes the French so French, Jean-Benoit Nadeau & Julie Barlow
The Discovery of France, Graham Robb
The Road from the Past - Traveling Through History in France, Ina Caro
The French Way - The Keys to the Behavior, Attitudes, and Customs of the French, Ross Steele
A Certain Je Ne Sais Quoi - The Ideal Guide to Sounding, Acting and Shrugging Like The French, Charles Timoney
Pardon My French - Unleash Your Inner Gaul, Charles Timoney

That's a start anyway. I'll add to this list as I find more gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment