Monday 2 December 2013

Flying dreams

FlyingBooks

Note: this is not my poem, sadly! It was written by a 12-year-old girl, Emma Kate Coleman, in New Zealand for a poetry competition. She sent it to me in an email, and I loved it so much I said I would publish it on my blogsite. Here's what Emma Kate wrote to me:
*

"I did a piece of poetry that I made up while I was at the garden centre with dad! The competition theme was a picture of a boy and a girl on a flying book and we had to write or draw where they ended up. Here is my little piece of poetry:"
*
Flying Dreams
*
As the sun rose,
and the night fell,
we flew high through the chilling sky.
Brushing against a cherry tree,
we swooped low.
A pointed hat and a warty nose,
a witch choked on three cherry stones.
Sweeping by,
bubbles floated high.
A king cursed from his bath,
when we popped them and laughed.
Red riding hood skipped by,
spirits suddenly high.
Two pigs raced past,
the big bad wolf behind them running fast.
There was a joust below,
two knights with a lance.
Sleeping beauty woke from her trance.
The book led the way,
we could not steer.
The stories swirl through the landscape,
sending pages below,
filling hearts with misery and joy.
Home is near, stories on my pillow,
dreams for tomorrow.
*
By the way, Emma Kate won the poetry competition - no surprise! Well done Emma Kate Coleman!!!


(picture image from http://www.poeticapublishing.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment