Monday 23 September 2013

A policeman, a snake and a naked man

Three unusual things have happened here in France lately:

1. A plain clothes policeman came to our door and asked if he could stand in our garden and watch the neighbours. Sure, why ever not! Seems someone has been damaging the cars in the residence of houses next door and he is on stake-out duty to nab the guilty. There's some comfort to be had in having Mr Policeman in the garden, but sadly he wasn't available when this happened...

2. A snake had wriggled its way into our house and my daughter found it. We were the only ones home. Of course there were loud screams and nervous jumpings but it was fascinating as we had never seen a snake up close and personal before, in our own home. We waited until it had curled up in the plastic surrounding a bundle of six sparkling water bottles, at which point I picked up the bundle and hurled it outside. Mr Snake slithered off, under my car. We used the car later (still shaking slightly) and saw him slithering off to the safety of the oak tree and its always-falling leaves.  Haven't seen him since. My husband was awfully impressed.

And neither was Mr Policeman available this afternoon when...

3. I was walking up our lovely street (quite rural, cutting through the properties of two major chateaux) to collect my son from school when I saw something that made me spin around on my heels and head promptly home. I'll take the car instead, I thought. It's not every day you see a completely naked man hanging around on the road. I don't know quite what he was up to but odds are he was dodgy, dangerous, unwell, or had nasty friends who had stolen his clothes. He wasn't young though (about 50-60) but I must say he was in good form for an older man...

Otherwise what struck me today was how late the fruit is fruiting on the trees this year. We are in autumnal France now, yet walking home from the school delivery this morning I managed to gobble mouthfuls of blackberries, green figs, black figs, yellow plums and then red plums. I thought they were fruit of the summer. Delish!

fig485-1

No comments:

Post a Comment